Thursday, 17 April 2014

Portsmouth, Winchester and Stonehenge

We awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning and headed out at 7:15am to jump on a tour that would take us to Portsmouth, Winchester and Stonehenge. A terrific day was had by all as we worked our way through the HMS Warrior, HMS Victory and the Mary Rose museum. We ended up splitting into two groups. Dad and Ben lost track of time and spent all of their time on the HMS Warrior, missing out of going on the HMS Victory and through the museum. Rick, Madi and I paced ourselves and managed to cover the three sites. 





Jumping back on the bus (all 7 off us in the tour group) we headed towards Winchester. The Winchester Cathedral rivals Westminster Abbey so I don't feel as though we have missed out on anything by not going there. 



We were instructed that we were not supposed to take pics inside the Catherdral. That didn't stop some people from snapping away. I refrained and contented myself with a few sneaky pics of the tombstones that were on the floor.




The final leg of the trip was to Stonehenge - a big pile of rocks dating back to 2500 BC. While I won't bore you with a history lesson, suffice it to say that they are pretty impressive. Up until then the weather had been gorgeous again, turning windy and overcast by the time we got there. I'm very glad that I took Lizzie's advice and brought my winter coat. The only thing missing was a scarf. 






It would be very remiss of me if I left out a description of our tour guide, James. He was an older gentleman, very dapper in his blue pin striped suit. Throughout the bus trip he provided a commentary about what we were seeing, knowing when to stop and simply let us take it all in. 

We capped off the night with an Italian meal at a little basement restaurant. Looks a bit dodgy from the outside and quite ordinary inside. The host, Salvatore, was sensational and the food was even better. Madi actually ate her pizza without scraping the topping off it. The best part was that the bill came to £45 for 5 of us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment